Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Tiny Painting as Inspiration for larger painting

 My last entry showed my tiny ( 2" x 3.5") acrylic painting of Yellow Tulips, which was my inspiration for this painting, which is 10" x 20". I made a few changes, the vase, the placement of the flowers, and subtle differences in the background. 

This is by far my most favorite painting I've done...I don't think I did it justice here in the photo, though. The photo made all the colors too bright, which in my painting, only the bulbs and the pot stand out. I think that photographing it flattened the look of this painting.

I had hoped that painting the small painting first would have loosened up my style. Nah. It didn't. But I really enjoyed painting it...there's a bit of confidence that I had as I painted the still life again. I thought of the old masters who did the same thing. Hmm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment