Monday, June 3, 2013

Recovered from Shoulder Surgery

For years I have been troubled with pain in my right arm, but doctors blamed it on herniated discs in my neck. Well, my right arm just got worse and worse, until a day in April, 2012, I couldn't lift my arm at all. I had to go see a new doctor (we had moved, changed jobs, insurance companies, you know)... But this time my doctor knew right away what was wrong. An MRI showed a torn rotator cuff, large amounts of calcification buildup, arthritis due to bone rubbing against bone, etc. Two months later the orthopedist surgeon rebuilt my shoulder, cut my bicep, removed a lot of calcification, cut 1/2 inch off my collar bone, etc. After 6 months of agonizing recovery, I finally could admit I was glad to have had this done. Another 6 months of further recovery, and now my right arm is better than I can remember! So, I am painting again!

But first, here is one of the last paintings I did before my surgery. I was inspired to paint this door, creating it in my mind, to make it look like something I would like to have on my house, overlooking the courtyard. I wanted the doors to look old, with layers of weathered blue paint showing its age. I wanted flowers on this narrow balcony, but in a painting I don't have to be bothered with how to keep them watered! I love painting...you can do gardening without all the work!
This is a 10" x 20" painting, done in acrylics. I have it sitting on a shelf in my guest bedroom, perhaps taking viewers to another time, place, etc. Italy, perhaps?
-Judy 

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love the highlights on the geranium pots and the details in the door hinges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are glad that you are better and painting again.

    ReplyDelete